I gave in and admitted that God was God.

7.20.2007

ran, ikiru, hairspray, harry potter and the order of the phoenix

Ran (1985)
You know, I really, really tried to get into this movie, but it just wasn't doing it for me. I'm either not patient enough at this time in my life, or I'm approaching it from the wrong perspective. :/ Maybe in a few years...

------
Ikiru (1952)
This was delightful surprise! I was scared going into this one after my failed attempt at "Ran". It only took a few minutes for me realize how much of a different movie it was going to be. It raises alot of questions about death and how many of us are just pulsing forms of it. I guess you could call Ikiru a "zombie movie". In reverse.

:: A

-------
Hairspray has 74 reviews on rottentomatoes.com and is at 95% freshness. This is really starting to scare me. Am I actually going to have to go and see this thing now? I quiver at the notion that I might enjoy several hours of a flaunting, bosomed Travolta in tights. Shudder!

-------
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)



THE GOOD:
helena bonham carter -- best twenty seconds of the movie...

THE BAD:
the length -- too short

THE UGLY:
the curtain -- poorly executed

--The scene with Dumbledor and Voldemort was intensely satisfying. And Harry's struggle with Voldemort in the end was heartbreaking. It was the first time I actually felt incredibly sad for Harry during one of the movies. That was unexpected.(save perhaps when he comes back with Cedric's body).

--Nicholas Hooper's score blended seamlessly with the movie, but it still isn't that great on CD (though its better now with context).

--Newspaper transitions. Niiice.

--I cannot say enough good things about Carter's performance as Bellatrix Lestrange. So good. It doesn't hurt that she's in that greasy, mangled hair either. Being evil is a bonus as well. I want to marry her. I don't know what she sees in that Burton guy. Passion? Bah! I've got passion!

--It was too short. Nearly 30 minutes too short. And the IMAX 3D was crap. Ironically it took me out of the movie instead of "immersing" me in it. The film is much better without the 3D.

--The death curtain was not developed enough. I knew what it was, I knew what was going to happen, but if I hadn't read the book I probably would have been confused.

--Most of what I could say about the film I am sure you have read elsewhere, so I won't say much more. It was good, not as good as Azkaban, but better than all the others. I like David Yates' direction and look forward to his next installment.

--Prediction one, confirmed. Two through six will have to wait until Monday morning. I'm going fishing this weekend and won't be back until late Sunday night, but I won't be back online until after I finish that book. Hopefully by Tuesday. Byyye.

::B+



Awww, we're so cute.

3 comments:

Phillip said...

I really, really need to watch more Kurosawa. I've only seen two and Ikiru in on the top of my Blockbuster Q. And I love what you said about not being patient enough for certain films at different times of life. I know how that is. I totally would have written off Kieslowski and Tarkovsky two years ago, and now I count some of their films among my favorites because of education and maturity.

---

Hairspray is going to be amazing. Awesome soundtrack. I've always loved musicals.

---

I agree with every part of your HP comments. I loved that shot where Azkaban was broken into and how it just sort of pulled out with Bellatrix in the center of all the destruction. Great stuff.

maryt/theteach said...

Glad you're back posting...

raymond said...

I like musicals too, but I've never listened to Hairspray. :/ I can't not see the movie now though. 94%?? Hopefully this weekend.

-------

It's good to be back, Teach!